Last modified: 15th September 2022. View Earlier Versions.
Privacy Notice: Dubai Fitness Challenge
Your privacy is important to us. This Privacy Notice explains what personal data we process about you, how we process it, and for what reasons, when you visit our Dubai Fitness Challenge platforms, attend or participate in the Dubai Fitness Challenge, or otherwise interact or correspond with us in relation to the Dubai Fitness Challenge.
Jump to section
- About Dubai Economy and Tourism
- About Dubai Fitness Challenge
- This Privacy Notice
- Data Controller
- How can you contact us?
- What personal data do we collect?
- How we collect personal data?
- How we use personal data and why?
- What is the legal basis for collecting and using your personal data?
- How to unsubscribe from receiving marketing communication?
- Internet Protocol (IP) Address, Cookies and other tracking technologies
- Links to Other Websites
- How we share your personal data and why?
- Where we store your personal data?
- How long we keep your personal data for?
- Your Rights and how to exercise them?
- How do we ensure your data is protected?
- Compliance and cooperation with regulatory authorities
- Privacy Notice Changes
- Questions Concerning this Privacy Notice
- General Enquiries, Complaints or Suggestions
About Dubai Economy and Tourism
Department of Economy and Tourism (“DET”) is an entity established pursuant to Law No. 20 of 2021 having its address at P.O. Box 594, Dubai, United Arab Emirates. DET is the principal authority for the planning, supervision, development and marketing of tourism in Dubai. DET also markets and promotes Dubai’s commerce sector and are responsible for the licensing and classification of all tourism services, including hotels establishments, tour operators, travel agents and all other tourism services. You can find out more about us here.
DET and its affiliates, including, but not limited to, Dubai Festivals and Retail Establishment and Dubai Corporation for Tourism and Commerce Marketing (collectively, “Dubai DET”, “We”, “we”, “our” or “us”) are committed to providing excellent service to all customers, including respecting their concerns about privacy and taking the relevant measures to safeguard their personal data in accordance with applicable data protection legislation.
About Dubai Fitness Challenge
Dubai Fitness Challenge (“Dubai Fitness Challenge” or “DFC”) is a unique 30-day fitness challenge taking place annually in Dubai including all events and activities that form part of the Dubai Fitness Challenge (which includes without limitation ‘Dubai Run’ and ‘Dubai Ride’).
This Privacy Notice
Dubai DET acts as a controller of your personal data processed in accordance with this Privacy Notice.
How can you contact us?
Dubai DET has appointed a Data Protection Officer. You can reach our DPO at email@example.com.
If you have any general enquiries, complaints or suggestions, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or click here. You can also send us a direct message on any of our social media pages for Dubai Fitness Challenge.
In this Privacy Notice:
“Dubai Run” means the run event that takes place in Dubai for participants located in the United Arab Emirates annually as part of the Dubai Fitness Challenge; and
“Dubai Ride” means the cycling event that in Dubai for participants located in the United Arab Emirates annually as part of the Dubai Fitness Challenge.
“Platforms” means any of our websites operated for the Dubai Fitness Challenge (including without limitation, dubaifitnesschallenge.com; www.dubairun.com and www.dubairide.com, including –
- any microsites or tools contained therein which has been created and is supported by our technology solutions providers;
- any of our mobile applications and any tools contained therein;
- any of our social media pages for the Dubai Fitness Challenge; and
- any of our other technological platforms in whatever form for the Dubai Fitness Challenge.
As well as providing an events calendar and information on events/activities that form part of the Dubai Fitness Challenge, our Platforms may be synced with sports devices/applications and organises personalised exercise sessions or sports competitions and provides multimedia content. Our Platforms will allow us to store, organise and process data, including, for example, identifying data such as photographs, first and last name, birthdate, email address, weight and height, within a database.
“Non-personally identifiable information” means information that is recorded about users so that it no longer reflects or references an individually identifiable user.
“Personal data” means any information which you provide to us which directly or indirectly personally identifies you, such as your name, email address, billing information, credit card information, or other data which can be reasonably linked to such information by Dubai DET, such as information we associate with any accounts you may hold with Dubai DET.
“Sensitive personal data” means special categories of personal data, specifically, information about your race, ethnic origin, political opinions, religious beliefs, any health and genetics, biometrics (where used for ID purposes) and criminal convictions.
What personal data do we collect?
We collect and use a range of personal information you provide us when you participate in the Dubai Fitness Challenge or any events, promotions, surveys, competitions or activities associated with the Dubai Fitness Challenge using our Platforms or via third party platforms in order to deliver and improve our services, including:
If you are an attendee or participant
- Contact information, such as, email address and phone numbers;
- Personal identification, such as, first name, last name, gender, date of birth, nationality, social media handles, bib/race number, t-shirt sizes, number of accompanying children, and if corporate registerant company name and number of participating staff or students;
- Technological Data, which includes internet protocol (IP) address, device-specific information (such as your hardware model, operating system version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information including phone number), device event information such as crashes, system activity, hardware settings, browser type and version, browser language, your login data, the date, time and location of your request and referral URL, cookies or similar technologies that may uniquely identify your browser or any of your accounts on our Platforms, location information when you use our Platforms through various technologies such as Wi-Fi access points and cell towers. For more information on technological data, please see our section on ‘IP Addresses and Cookies’
- Profile Information, which includes your username and password, your interests, preferences, feedback and survey responses, performance, results and times at Dubai Fitness Challenge related events and activities, registerations made by you, events you viewed or searched for, page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, mouse-overs and methods used to browse away from the page).
- Usage Data, which includes information about how you use our Platforms, products and services.
- Marketing and Communications Data, which includes your preferences in receiving marketing from us and our third parties and your communication preferences.
If you are a Contractor, Event Partner, Collaborator or Sponsor
- Contact information, such as contact number, email and phone numbers;
- Technological Data, which includes internet protocol (IP) address, device-specific information (such as your hardware model, operating system version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information including phone number), device event information such as crashes, system activity, hardware settings, browser type and version, browser language, your login data, the date, time and location of your request and referral URL, cookies or similar technologies that may uniquely identify your browser or any of your accounts on our Platforms, location information when you use our Platforms through various technologies such as Wi-Fi access points and cell towers.
- Usage Data, which includes information about how you use our Platforms, products and services.
- Communications Data, which includes any business correspondences and related communications when you communicate with us and our third parties in relation to the Dubai Fitness Challenge and your communication preferences.
How we collect personal data?
Directly from you
We collect your personal data directly from you unless it is unreasonable or impractical to do so. We do this in a number of ways including:
- through your access and use of our Platforms including through our website, over the phone, or by other means, or by sending a Whatsapp to us or our represenatatives;
- when you to sign-up and create an account or edit your profile to receive our services;
- when you register to sign-up and attend online or offline fitness classes or sessions organised in relation to the Dubai Fitness Challenge;
- when you register, participate or volunteer for events, initiatives or fitness activities, such as Dubai Run and Dubai Ride;
- when you participate or enter into competitions, draws, promotions, incentives and reward programmes in relation to the Dubai Fitness Challenge, including when you enter into any competitions via social media platforms (such as Instagram, LinkedIn, Facebook and TikTok);
- through your access and use of social media platforms (such as Instagram, LinkedIn, Facebook and TikTok);
- through your participation in lead generation campaigns including on social media platforms (such as Instagram, LinkedIn, Facebook and TikTok)
- during conversations between you and our representatives in relation to the Dubai Fitness Challenge;
- when you communicate with us or our representatives regarding our services such as feedback surveys and ratings; and/or
- when you complete an application or subscription for a service in relation to the Dubai Fitness Challenge.
From third parties
We may also collect personal data from third parties including:
- organisers or co-organisers of events, schemes or initiatives as well as service providers assisting with organising such events, schemes and initiatives in relation to the Dubai Fitness Challenge, such as Dubai Run and Dubai Ride;through someone else who has provided us with your information (e.g. a gift subscription) in relation to the Dubai Fitness Challenge;
- corporations and companies participating in DFC, if you are the designated DFC champion for your corporation or company;
- through someone who has provided us with your information (e.g. as emergency contact person) in relation to the Dubai Fitness Challenge;
- mailing lists;
- contractors and business partners;
- social media platforms, such as Facebook, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn where you engage with our social media pages; and/or
- Social media management tools such as Sprinklr, which provides us with a view of your publicly available information across social media platforms. To understand more about how Sprinklr use your personal data, please refer to their Sprinklr Social Media Management System (SMMS) Privacy Notice .
How we use personal data and why?
We may receive your personal data from you or from third parties which we use:
- to operate and administer our Platforms and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, market research, statistical and survey purposes;
- to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us;
- to provide you with details about future events in relation to the Dubai Fitness Challenge that are same or similar to those you have registered for, or have otherwise participated (for example Dubai Run and Dubai Ride);
- to respond to your questions, comments and requests regarding your account, events for which you have registered, updates regarding our services and other administrative matters;
- to provide you with services related to the Dubai Fitness Challenge;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so;
- where you have indicated your consent, to provide you, or permit selected third parties to provide you, with additional services and/or information about additional services that may interest you (see “Marketing” section below for more information);
- to improve our Platforms to ensure that content from our Platforms is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your device;
- to organise and administer events, competitions, activities, schemes and initiatives, fulfil the terms of any agreement you have with us, respond to your requests and or any other purpose related to managing our organisation in relation to the Dubai Fitness Challenge such as Dubai Run and Dubai Ride;
- to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you;
- to conduct post-event surveys for events, activities etc. organised for Dubai Fitness Challenge to measure customer satisfaction and improve our products and services;
- to provide us insights into the trends of participation in the Dubai Fitness Challenge and usage of our services so that we may better deliver our services; and/or
- to comply with any applicable law (for example to fulfil national security obligations we may share personal data with national security agencies such as Dubai Police and other departments of the Government of Dubai), or in good faith believe such action is necessary or desirable to comply with the applicable laws (for example information we collect as part of our contact tracing procedures for the Covid-19 pandemic), or to protect or defend the rights or property of Dubai DET, our Platforms, or their users, including as described in the section below titled “How We Share Personal Data”.
What is the legal basis for collecting and using your personal data?
Applicable data protection laws require that we can use your personal data only where we have a valid purpose to do so and legal basis. In certain circumstances we may ask for your consent to process your data, and at other times, we may be required to process your information to enable us to fulfil our part of the contract we have with you.
Where you have indicated your consent or we have a legal basis, we (and permitted third parties) may contact you for direct marketing purposes via post, telephone, email, SMS/MMS, push notifications, and social media channels such as Facebook, TikTok, Instagram, Twitter and WhatsApp.
This marketing may relate to:
- additional products and services we (or permitted third parties) feel may interest you;
- information about other goods and services we offer that are similar to those that you have already used or enquired about; and
- upcoming events, promotions and new products/services or other opportunities as well as those of selected third parties.
If you are an existing customer and you have not opted out of receiving that marketing by methods provided in this Privacy Notice, we will only contact you by electronic means without seeking your consent in advance (including but not limited to telephone, e-mail, SMS/MMS, push notifications, and social medial channels such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and WhatsApp) with information about services similar to those which were the subject of a previous dealing with you.
If you are signing-up to register and participate in any Dubai Fitness Challenge event, competition or promotion, or requested from us information related to the Dubai Fitness Challenge, and in each case you have not opted out of receiving that marketing by methods provided in this Privacy Notice, we will contact you by electronic means (including but not limited to telephone, e-mail, SMS/MMS, push notifications, and social medial channels such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and WhatsApp) to provide you information or notify you on upcoming events, activities, promotions, new products / services or other opportunities as well as those of third parties partners/sponsors in relation to the Dubai Fitness Challenge.
Marketing Emails and Newsletters
We may also combine the information you provide us at sign-up on our Platforms with data from other sources to help us improve the relevance of the emails we send you. For example if you sign-up to a Dubai Fitness Challenge event, we will record that information in your subscriber profile to ensure that the content of our emails reflects that.
We will get your opt-in consent before we share your personal data with any third-parties outside Dubai DET for their own marketing purposes.
How to unsubscribe from receiving marketing communication?
You may unsubscribe from marketing email communication sent by our Platforms or third parties at any time by following the unsubscribe link found at the bottom of every email communication you receive or by requesting us to remove you and your personal data collected electronically from our database(s) by emailing email@example.com. You may also opt-out of any marketing communications you receive from our third-party DFC partners by using any of the unsubscribe methods that may communicated in their respective privacy notices.
If you unsubscribe, we will retain your email address for the purposes of a suppression list to ensure that no further marketing messages can be sent unless you actively choose to opt-in again.
Internet Protocol (IP) Address, Cookies and other tracking technologies
An IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to your device every time you browse the internet. When you visit our Platforms, the server used by our web host will make a record of your IP address, together with the date and time of your visit, the type of internet browser you use and the URL of any other websites that referred you to our Platforms.
We may also log IP addresses to analyse trends, administer our Platforms, track user movements, and gather broad demographic information.
You may also set your browser to block all cookies, including cookies associated with our website, or to indicate when a cookie is being set by us. However, it’s important to remember that our website may not function properly if your cookies are disabled. For example, we may not remember your language preferences.
For further information on the cookies we use, please refer to our Cookie Notice.
Links to Other Websites
We are not responsible for the practices employed by websites or services linked to or from our Platforms, including the information or content contained therein or the data collection practices or privacy policies therein. Please remember that when you use a link to go from our Platforms to another website, our Privacy Notice does not apply to third-party websites or services. Your browsing and interaction on any third-party websites or service, including those that have a link or advertisement on our Platforms, are subject to that third party’s own rules and policies. For example, when you sign-up to register and attend any online or offline fitness classes, activities or events in relation to the Dubai Fitness Challenge via a third party link on our Platforms, our Privacy Notice does not apply to your use of such third party site or any personal data you may share with such third party websites. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of such third-party websites and encourage you to read the privacy statements of any such third-party sites. In addition, you agree that we are not responsible and we do not have control over any third-parties that you authorize to access your user content. If you are using a third-party website or service (like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Instagram, or Google groups etc.) and you allow such a third-party access to your user content you do so at your own risk. This Privacy Notice does not apply to information we collect by other means (including offline) or from other sources other than through our Platforms.
How we share your personal data and why?
We will share personal data, within Dubai DET or with third parties we implement robust contractual agreements with third parties to confirm that your personal data will be handled in compliance with relevant data protection laws, such as personal data protection laws applicable in the UAE.
We share your personal data when one of the following circusmtances apply:
With our affiliates
When we collect and process your personal data, we might also share your personal data with our Dubai DET affiliates who may sometimes need to access your information to provide services to you on our behalf. Because Dubai DET is passionate about your privacy, we have made a decision to ensure the same level privacy protection throughout our business. Legally, other Dubai DET affiliates will then be acting as ‘data processors’ to process your personal data on our behalf and based on our specific instructions. These processors will also be subject to data protection laws and will only process your personal data in compliance with our Privacy Notice and any other appropriate confidentiality and security measures.
Sharing with our event organisers and partners
When you register for certain events or promotions in relation to Dubai Fitness Challenge on our Platforms, your personal data may be shared with our event organisers and partners that are responsible for the organisation or management that particular event or promotion on our behalf or we collaborate with in order to arrange and deliver programmes, competitions, and other initiatives in relation to the Dubai Fitness Challenge. The data shared will be limited to those strictly necessary for the event or promotion you have registered, and our event partner or organiser will process your data strictly limited to the purpose for which the personal data is collected. For example, when you register to attend or participate in Dubai Run, we share your data with our event organiser.
With our service providers
We provide your information to our service providers who may receive or otherwise have access to your personal data or non-personally identifiable information, depending on the nature of their services and purposes in facilitating and enhancing the Dubai Fitness Challenge’s services, and may only use it for such purposes. These include data analytics services (such as Google Analytics), email marketing services (such as Oracle Eloqua)_and other service providers. Dubai DET as the controller of the information collected from you in connection with the use of our Platforms remains responsible for the any personal data processing done by such service providers on our behalf.
Where required by applicable law
We will disclose personal data when required by any applicable law (for example to fulfil national security obligations we may share personal data with national security agencies such as Dubai Police and other departments of the Government of Dubai), or in good faith believe such action is necessary or desirable to comply with the applicable laws, or to protect or defend the rights or property of Dubai DET, our Platforms, or their users.
With selected third parties
We may disclose your personal data to third parties in the following circumstances:
- in the event that Dubai DET sells or buys any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets;
- if Dubai DET or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it will be one of the transferred assets; and
- any person who is under a duty of confidentiality and has undertaken to keep such data confidential.
Where we store your personal data?
The personal data that we collect from you may be transferred to, stored and otherwise processed on servers located outside the country in which you reside and which may be located in secure data centres worldwide, and personal data may be stored in any one of them.
How long we keep your personal data for?
We will retain your personal data for the period necessary to full the purposes outlined in this Privacy Notice. When assessing these periods, we carefully examine our need to collect personal data at all and if we establish a relevant need we only retain it for the shortest possible period to realise the purpose of collection unless a longer retention period is required by contractual obligation or law.
If we no longer need to use or disclose your personal data for the purposes set out in this Privacy Notice and we are not legally required to retain that information, then we will take reasonable steps to destroy your personal data or ensure it is rendered anonymous (i.e. turned into non-personally identifiable information).
Your Rights and how to exercise them?
Under certain circumstance, you have a number of rights with regard to your personal data that we must comply with. The rights you have are:
The right to be informed
You have the right to be informed about the collection and use of your personal data by us or, on our behalf, by a third party.
The right to access
You have the right to obtain from us confirmation as to whether or not your personal data is being processed and, if so, the right to access that personal data. This right does not apply where it would adversely affect the rights and freedoms of another person.
The right to rectification
You have the right to request that we correct any inaccurate personal data and we must comply in a timely manner. Taking into account the purposes of the processing, you shall have the right to have incomplete personal data completed.
The right to erasure
You have the right to request the erasure of your personal data, in our possession, in a timely manner.
The right to restrict processing
You have the right to request the restriction of use of your personal data, where the data is not being used for the purpose it was collected for or if you request that we correct any inaccurate personal data (in this case the processing will be restricted for a certain period).
The right to object to processing
You have the right to object at any time to our use of your personal data where the processing is carried out for direct marketing purposes including profiling relating to direct marketing.
The right to data transfer
Where you have provided personal data for us to use with your consent* or as required for us to fulfil our contractual obligations to you and the processing is carried out by automated means, you have the right to receive personal data that you have provided us in a structured, commonly used format in order for you to provide that personal data to another organisation for use as you so wish. This right does not apply where we are using the personal data to carry out a public duty (e.g. security or compliance).
*This includes sensitive personal data such as biometric, health or political or religious beliefs provided with your explicit consent.
The right to complain to a data protection authority
You have the right to submit a formal written complaint to a data protection regulator who can resolve any complaints regarding the transfer of personal data that we cannot resolve with you directly.
The right not to be subject to automated decision making
You have the right not to be subject to a decision based solely on automated processing, including profiling, which produces legal or similarly significantly affect you.
The right to withdraw consent
When we process your personal data based on your consent, you have the right to withdraw it and inform us that you no longer wish us to collect, store, or use your personal data, where there is no other legal basis for us to do so.
Dubai DET have procedures in place to ensure that it deals with any requests it receives in an efficient manner. You can exercise any of these rights by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do we ensure your data is protected?
We will take all reasonable steps to protect the personal data that we hold from misuse, loss, or unauthorized access, including by means of firewalls, password access and secure servers. In particular, we review our information collection, storage and processing practices, including physical security measures, to guard against unauthorized access to systems, and restrict access to personal data to our employees, contractors and agents who need to know that information in order to process it for us, and who are subject to strict contractual confidentiality obligations and may be disciplined or terminated if they fail to meet these obligations. Unfortunately, there is always risk involved in sending information through any channel over the internet. You send information over the internet entirely at your own risk. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted over the internet and we do not warrant the security of any information, including personal data, which you transmit to us over the internet. If you suspect any misuse or loss of, or unauthorized access to, your personal data, please let us know immediately.
Compliance and cooperation with regulatory authorities
We regularly review our compliance with our Privacy Notice. When we receive formal written complaints, we will contact the person who made the complaint to follow up. We work with the appropriate regulatory authorities, including local data protection authorities, to resolve any complaints regarding the transfer of personal data that we cannot resolve with our users directly.
Privacy Notice Changes
In the future, we may revise or amend this Privacy Notice at any time by amending this page to publish a new version. All changes will be made here so you will always know what information we gather, how we might use that information and whether we will disclose it to anyone. We recommend that you revisit this page from time to time to keep informed of our current privacy practices.
Questions Concerning this Privacy Notice
If you have questions regarding this Privacy Notice, please feel free to email us at email@example.com.
General Enquiries, Complaints or Suggestions
If you have any general enquiries, complaints or suggestions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.